DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I figured, someone might know off the top of their head here, faster than I can google and sift through the 5 million hits on my issue here... and be more user friendly at the same time :)

Issue: I have a Makita Lithium Ion Battery charger that has a tendency to enjoy sparking (not sure if its... arcing??) when I plug it into receptacles, more often than naught. Wasn't sure what the cause could be, because it happens in multiple receptacles. I haven't paid much attention on the rewires of if they are old or new receptacles, but I've also seen it happen to other plugs as well. The charger does NOT have a ground, however- it's a simple 2 prong with an enlarged neutral prong.

Any advice? I'd love to know how I can prevent this before I potentially blow up a good charger...

·
Mad Scientist
951 Posts
If the "sparking" is just a quick pop when you first plug it in after it's been unplugged for a little while, and it functions properly otherwise, it's probably perfectly normal. A lot of modern electronics with switching power supply circuits are prone to this. They have a bit heavier current draw when first plugged in, probably due to filter capacitors charging up. My laptop power bricks all do this, every single one of them has done it since they were brand new.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts