DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed something yesterday in my 2005 built house.

For reference, thermostat was set at around 55-60 degrees (heat pump/aux electric heat). Outside temperature 15-20 deg.

Note the random wet patches on the wall. On the other side of this wall is the attic above my attached and unheated garage.

If I were to go into the attic above the garage, do you think I would find insulation voids in this area? That is what I am thinking. I shot the damp spots with an IR temp gun and the temperatures were within 1-3 degrees of the rest of the dry wall. I also found more "sweating" in one area in the wall/ceiling joint. Also, there is no duct work buried within this wall. Yes, I did check the ceiling for any signs of roof leak/water dripping down onto the wall.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
Insulation voids is a good guess. But there should also be drywall covering the other side and not exposed insulation.

Your IR temp gun is probably reading a much larger area then just those spots and showing you an average. An infrared camera would be very revealing and you can rent them. They have less expensive ones but limited in quality of images. But first, take a look at the other side.

Bud

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Insulation voids is a good guess. But there should also be drywall covering the other side and not exposed insulation.

Your IR temp gun is probably reading a much larger area then just those spots and showing you an average. An infrared camera would be very revealing and you can rent them. They have less expensive ones but limited in quality of images. But first, take a look at the other side.

Bud
Well the other side of this wall is the gable end of the attic above the garage, so I would expect to find no drywall on the other side of this. Of course, the ceiling and walls of the garage are drywalled.

I am going to have to have a look up there because this is very odd to have that much dripping condensation that was enough to drip down the wall.

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
When you have a look up there you may find no insulation or if there is insulation you may find insulation pushed out into the attic space along and beyond each stud.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts