DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I randomly noticed a faceplate underneath the eave on the side of my house. Never noticed it before so I took off the faceplate. I thought it might be romex for a floodlight, but it turns out it’s several coax cables. The prior owner had satellite but the dish was on the other side of the house. Plus, there is no attic above this area on the reverse side of the wall so the cables must have been put in by the developer.

I have no clue where these cables might run or what they would be for. Ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Curious, did you pull on them to see if there is extra wire? Wild guess, maybe that was a proposed entrance for cable service. Do you have outlets with coax in the house?

·
Super Moderator
21,086 Posts
The only thing that uses coax is satellite or cable TV.
Were the TVs located on that side of the house. It might have been easier to run the cable around the outside and then in.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Could the previous owner possibly have had security cameras? Many of them use coax.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
The only thing that uses coax is satellite or cable TV.
...and internet. That doesn't usually involve multiple coax cables, though, so it's an unlikely scenario in this instance. The cables are most likely for TV, to be ready for multiple cable or satellite receivers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are no TVs or coax outlets on the interior side of the wall, which is the formal living and dining room. All of the cable work comes in on the opposite side of the house. If it was for security cameras I would expect there to be a few of these scattered around the house, but this is the only one.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
There are no TVs or coax outlets on the interior side of the wall, which is the formal living and dining room. All of the cable work comes in on the opposite side of the house. If it was for security cameras I would expect there to be a few of these scattered around the house, but this is the only one.
If it's for TV, they probably run to other parts of the house - family room, bedrooms, etc.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Have you checked the attic? They might have dropped wires into wall cavities so later they could cut holes and grab them, but never completed it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'n not aware of a CCTV camera that used F connectors, nor of any that would require 4 cable connections. 30+ years ago a second cable for the sync signal was needed if you were doing split screen (2 cameras appearing together on one monitor).

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Those connectors look like an older style. I don't know how old the building is, but I'm thinking it's a few decades old. I'm thinking those wires have been there for a few decades - before high speed internet was a thing, before residential security cameras were a thing. It's gotta be TV. I believe in the early days of satellite TV, each box had its own wire all the way to the dish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts