DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently we've noticed a straight line of brown spots appear over our dinning room. The area above those spots is a hallway, next to the stairs and there are no vents of any kind. It is also a good 15-20 feet away from an outside wall. We are a middle unit in a town house complex so only two outside walls. Could this be a drainage problem from a shower drain which is about 10 feet away? I haven't noticed which way the shower drains to go down to the 1st floor so not sure if this is part of it's path or not. Could this be some other problem not related to the shower? The house is about 7 years old so relatively new. Thanks for your help.

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
That sounds like ---Condensation drips from a water line-----A bad dryer vent----tub or shower running over---drain leak following a pipe or drywall seam---water entering an air duct and leaking at a seam

Play detective---where are the pipes running?--Furnace ducts---Does it look like an active and growing stain or a one time spill somewhere?---Post a picture or two----Mike----

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We were thinking maybe condensation. Planning on playing detective. Condensation is something I thought about but can't prove it yet. We think maybe it could be something up with the shower drain. Doesn't look like the shower floor was done well to me.

Not a smoker so that is definitely out.

Thank you so much for your help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same Problem Please Help!!

I am having the same problem above my entrance doorway and hallway. I am really concerned because I have a small child (who swears up and down it wasn't him). There really isn't any type of substance that would produce spots and lines like that.

The suggestion:

-Condensation drips from a water line-----A bad dryer vent----tub or shower running over---drain leak following a pipe or drywall seam---water entering an air duct and leaking at a seam

does not apply. The first thing I thought of was perhaps it had something to do with the plants I am growing but only one has sprouted from the seeds.

Could it be toxic mold forming? It easily comes off so I have cleaned most of it but I would like to know what it is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.