DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Pros,
Need some help with a job of raising a sunken living area which is carpeted & about 6 and half inches below the other areas. There are many videos that basically explain raising a sunken area which has a concrete base but my situation is that there is a basement under this area which self explains that there are joists used 16" centered. A few things I am having issues deciding are as follows.

1. I am going to rip out the existing carpet prior to framing. Is it better to rip out the existing subfloor as well. Trying to see if this helps with bringing the weight down.
2. Since it is only 6 1/2 inches deep, I am planning to put new framing attached to the existing studs using a ledger board right round the sunken area and then simpson tie the new framing to the ledger board. So my question is with using 2x4 for the framing and an 1" of subfloor which will make it 4 and a half inches.
3. If 2x6 are used along with the 1" subfloor then the framing is bound to base on the existing floor which I think will be an issue with sound bouncing when walked on. Any suggestions.
4. Or is it better to rip off the existing subfloor and use 2x6 (actual 5 1/2) for the new framing which will again be simpson tied to the existing joists plus the 1" subfloor. this in my view also reduces the amount of weight due to the fact that there will finally be only one subfloor as supposed to 2 and also avoid the hollow area in between and also avoid using extra insulation in between to reduce sound. Also see us buying less of new plywood. :wink2:

Any feedback highly appreciated.

Thanks

·
retired framer
53,872 Posts
Hi Pros,
Need some help with a job of raising a sunken living area which is carpeted & about 6 and half inches below the other areas. There are many videos that basically explain raising a sunken area which has a concrete base but my situation is that there is a basement under this area which self explains that there are joists used 16" centered. A few things I am having issues deciding are as follows.

1. I am going to rip out the existing carpet prior to framing. Is it better to rip out the existing subfloor as well. Trying to see if this helps with bringing the weight down.
2. Since it is only 6 1/2 inches deep, I am planning to put new framing attached to the existing studs using a ledger board right round the sunken area and then simpson tie the new framing to the ledger board. So my question is with using 2x4 for the framing and an 1" of subfloor which will make it 4 and a half inches.
3. If 2x6 are used along with the 1" subfloor then the framing is bound to base on the existing floor which I think will be an issue with sound bouncing when walked on. Any suggestions.
4. Or is it better to rip off the existing subfloor and use 2x6 (actual 5 1/2) for the new framing which will again be simpson tied to the existing joists plus the 1" subfloor. this in my view also reduces the amount of weight due to the fact that there will finally be only one subfloor as supposed to 2 and also avoid the hollow area in between and also avoid using extra insulation in between to reduce sound. Also see us buying less of new plywood. :wink2:

Any feedback highly appreciated.

Thanks
You don't need hangers or anything you would just put in 2x? that gets you to the height that will make the 3/4 subfloor match the height of the other floor. To tie the floors together you just nail blocks down beside the new and then nail to the block.

But you could also consider raising the old floor to the new height and give you that room in the basement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But you could also consider raising the old floor to the new height and give you that room in the basement.
Raising the entire floor would be another job and we are doing it ourself's. do not want the house to come down but I will look into this approach if you could provide some input as to how this can done.
You mean to say rip out carpet & subfloor and then cut the existing joists and reframe them to match the new height and put back the subfloor. Is that right. if so wont the house be unstable when we cut out the existing joists.
basement height is not a big deal as of now since just the sunken area is unfinished and the rest is all done.
Forgot to mention there is a fireplace located in the sunken area which we do not want to raise.
Attaching a pic of the basement where the sunken area is.

Thanks

Attachments

·
retired framer
53,872 Posts
Raising the entire floor would be another job and we are doing it ourself's. do not want the house to come down but I will look into this approach if you could provide some input as to how this can done.
You mean to say rip out carpet & subfloor and then cut the existing joists and reframe them to match the new height and put back the subfloor. Is that right. if so wont the house be unstable when we cut out the existing joists.
basement height is not a big deal as of now since just the sunken area is unfinished and the rest is all done.
Forgot to mention there is a fireplace located in the sunken area which we do not want to raise.
Attaching a pic of the basement where the sunken area is.

Thanks
Unless you are desperate for the head room in the basement, it would be big job and a lot to consider. Just filling it in from above is fairly easy in comparison.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts