DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Raised vanity now slow drain

451 Views 28 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  petervava
I replaced my vanity with a countertop and counter top sink. Previous vanity was 32" high with a drop in sink. My new countertop is 35" inches high. I am going crazy because drain is slow. First tried no overflow sink. Then added vent. Then replaced with sink with overflow thinking pressure from overflow would help. Still slow drain. I snaked drain from wall, perhaps need to do again. Can raising the vanity affect the drainage?

Thanks
Peter V
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The height of the pipe does not matter. You do know plumbing pipe is sloped to the sewer/septic.
Of that I am aware. This bathroom is on the first floor of a 3 story townhouse with a below grade basement, in the back of the house. Sewer pipes run toward front of house connecting to street sewer via basement. Bathroom with vanity has toilet, shower stall and a tub.
Pardon my ignorance. Plumbing has always been something that has caused me much frustration. I guess you are getting at the point that the highest point is currently the vanity drain. But I thought that there would be a vent for the building drains. Again, am I showing a thorough lack of understanding?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is no obstruction in the piping from the sink to the wall since that is all new (even though it looks old; old parts). The drain doesn't even have a stopper, fully open. The connection into the wall pipe is with those metal covered rubber thangs that don't let the pipes move into each other. I did snake into the wall pipe when I first started this. Perhaps I didn't do a good enough job. Guess I should do a more thorough job as next step.

· retired framer
70,300 Posts
There is no obstruction in the piping from the sink to the wall since that is all new (even though it looks old; old parts). The drain doesn't even have a stopper, fully open. The connection into the wall pipe is with those metal covered rubber thangs that don't let the pipes move into each other. I did snake into the wall pipe when I first started this. Perhaps I didn't do a good enough job. Guess I should do a more thorough job as next step.
How well does the tub drain? You would think they connect some where.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How well does the tub drain? You would think they connect some where.
Hard to say about tub. Was a Jacuzzi that I am in the process of changing to a bigger shower. We hardly ever used it. I never noticed it draining slowly, but with the amount of water in a Jacuzzi it's hard to say. Shower stall which is to the left and toward front of house drains fine.

· retired framer
70,300 Posts
Hard to say about tub. Was a Jacuzzi that I am in the process of changing to a bigger shower. We hardly ever used it. I never noticed it draining slowly, but with the amount of water in a Jacuzzi it's hard to say. Shower stall which is to the left and toward front of house drains fine.
The tub should take water with the faucet on full with out backing up.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 29 Posts