DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 10 oz. tube of 100% silicone sealer ($9.00) two weeks ago and immediately used a bit of it. Today I needed a dab of it and of course, the tip is plugged solid. Unplugging is a major/messy hassle, especially if I do not wish to greatly enlarge the opening. Even then it can be a challenge. I have struggled with this issue for years and never had found a way to store the stuff properly. I have simply taped the end off with several wraps of electrical tape, plugged the end with a screw, plugged the end with a 16d spike, stored with the end immersed in water, and lastly tried storing it in my spare refrigerator. Absolutely nothing works for me! The only solution I found that half-way works is to buy the stuff in 2 oz squeeze tubes (with the screw on cap) but that doubles, if not triples cost.

I bet there are a few ideas I have not thought of and am hoping this forum may have something for me. Grrr.!!

·
retired painter
13,140 Posts
I always insert a nail long enough to reach the cartridge in any caulk tube I wish to save. Rarely have an issue although occasionally it can be an effort to pull out the nail. I detest using a squeeze tube of caulk!

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,115 Posts
I like to plug with a 3" deck screw. It grips the congealing caulk and helps pull it out.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Reactions: mark sr

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I try to buy the stuff with the screw on tips if I know I'm only gonna use a partial tube for now. That way, if the tip cures solid, I can generally unscrew it and push the cured plug out the other end. Usually when it cures, the plug doesn't extend all the way back to the actual tube.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts