DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am adding a room on to my house. The new room will be using truss, but the truss will only go to the old load bearing wall, which is where the new room starts. The slope of the new roof is such that the rafters off the new truss will intersect on the old roof about half way up the old roof. My question is how do I tie these rafters into my old roof? Do i attach to the old roof sheating or cut the sheating off and attach to the old roof rafters(which are really trusses themselves)

·
In a little over my head
1,369 Posts
I just went thru this, tying an addition into an existing hip roof. I used stick built rafters , not trusses. We tied the ridge and valley rafters to the existing roof decking (sheathing). I think that if you were to remove the decking and try to tie to the framing, you'll find that there's no framing where you need it. You may want to open a cou[ple of holes in the exising roof, under the new one, for ventilation, tho.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sheating

I agree, having to attach to truss in the old roof may not work out to where the new truss are going.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts