DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with static on my woodshop radio. Infromation: have tried several different radios--radio is plugged into a regular 110 receptacle---tried different circuits---makes no difference AM or FM---house built in 1987---do not notice any other electrical problems ---plays clear as a bell except when we turn on our big flat screen TV ----loud static happens all the time TV is on---TV is on a different circuit inside the house---shop is in attached garage---other TV,s in house do not affect radio. I welcome questions for more infro if you need. Thanks for your help.
Vernon

·
Banned
5,990 Posts
I have a problem with static on my woodshop radio. Infromation: have tried several different radios--radio is plugged into a regular 110 receptacle---tried different circuits---makes no difference AM or FM---house built in 1987---do not notice any other electrical problems ---plays clear as a bell except when we turn on our big flat screen TV ----loud static happens all the time TV is on---TV is on a different circuit inside the house---shop is in attached garage---other TV,s in house do not affect radio. I welcome questions for more infro if you need. Thanks for your help.
Vernon
Gamble on a power line RF filter. FM resists all kinds of static so I don't think the static is coming through the air, i.e., it's not radiated interference, it's conducted interference.

·
Registered
37,459 Posts
Just some guesses. Shut off the lights and see what happens.
Have you checked the outlets and incoming wire from the breaker box to see if the hot and nutral on the right sides of the outlet? A simple tester that just plugs into the outlet will tell you if it's right.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's best to find the source of the noise, and deal with it there. RFI tends to be hard to filter out
shut off circuits one at a time to localize. A small battery powered radio may be of some use in tracking down the source.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.