DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to hang a radiator (160cm wide, 50cm high, total weight around 35kg) via two brackets to a plasterboard wall.
The wall is external, so that it has studs (about 12mm deep and 50mm wide) behind the plasterboard and then bricks behind the studs.
I am lucky enough to have studs in correspondence of my brackets.

However, I was wondering whether the 12mm depth of the studs would be enough for the screws to bite, or if I should reach to the bricks behind the studs and fix the brackets to them.

If I can use the studs, how do I make sure that the screws go through the whole 12mm, given that this will be prevented by them hitting the bricks?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
12mm x 50mm wood is not a stud; at best, it could be considered a firring strip. Anyway, for that weight you should, at a minimum, anchor into the brick. Depending on the thickness of the radiator (how far it's weight is from the wall), you may want to consider adding a couple of 2x3 or larger 'studs' on the inside of the wall, anchored securely to the brick at the top of the wall.

·
Naildriver
14,239 Posts
Are the bricks structural or veneer? I agree, 12 mm is about 1/2", right? Not to good with metric stuff. I would add brackets if possible tied to the floor, and not use the veneer as support.

·
Naildriver
14,239 Posts
OK, so high mount. Agree.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
OK, so high mount. Agree.
Since the weight is centered to the inside of the wall, it will pull in on the wall at the top and push out on it at the bottom. Both forces need to be resisted, either by the wall, or vertical braces that are attached to the ceiling and floor. The wall itself is most likely adequate for the loads, but I don't like the idea of guessing or assuming that something as important as an exterior wall is adequate, so I won't advocate that for anyone else, either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts