DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As with everybody, I'm trying to get the most out of my heating dollar. I have a 1906 2 story farmhouse, 1600 sqft, electric baseboard heat on the 2nd floor and 4 cast-iron hydronic radiators on each of the rooms on the 1st floor heated by a single zoned fuel-oil burning boiler.

Would there be any advantage to adding something to the water in the boiler system like Water Wetter? I have used it in automotive applications and saw a noticeable improvement in transferring heat out of engines and thought maybe it could work the other way.

Has anybody tried something like this? How about building a radiant barrier along the walls behind the radiators out of foam insulation and aluminum foil? Would that help?

·
Registered
654 Posts
You would benefit much more by upgrading windows, doors, attic insulation OR just put plastic over windows to keep out drafts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doors have been replaced, the attic has been re-insulated with r-38. I am replacing the windows as I go through the house and demo/rehab which includes pulling the plaster and lathe, insulating the walls, and hanging new drywall. In the rooms I haven't got to yet, I shrink-wrap the windows.

Soon I will have a much tighter house. I'm looking to see if there are any other improvements or advantages I can make to improve on 100 year old technology. Shredded newsprint, single pane windows, and water filled radiators were the height of technology at one time. I was just seeing if there was anything out there that might be better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts