DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, 1dumbquestion here with... well, a dumb question. I was looking at home depot for some insulation and they have R13 in 32' rolls or in precut batts. It's more than 40% more to buy them precut than in rolls. does that sound normal? Wow, now that I've typed it it really is a dumb question, it just seems that 40% is a lot to pay for act of cutting. Now that I've got your attention I'm remodeling an old house that had no insulation it has 2x4 walls and trusses, I was planning on R13 batts for the walls and spray in for the ceiling (currently there is no drywall so I could do something different). What is needed in the crawl space? I'm in Oregon. Thanks, 1

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
1D,
I just bought a bunch of insulation at HD recently and noticed the same thing. Needless to say I bought the rolls that weren't precut. You have to watch the big box stores, they many times have similar items but charge a lot more for a little convenience.
Mike Hawkins:)

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Just remember that R13 insulation in a wall gives you a wall much less than R13 (R10-11) because of the framing. Not like using XPS foam.

Dick

·
11,730 Posts

·
Exterior Construction
26,124 Posts
Just remember that R13 insulation in a wall gives you a wall much less than R13 (R10-11) because of the framing. Not like using XPS foam.

Dick
+1

Actually less for that matter. Even if you figure that your framing leaves a net clear of 80%, that still makes for and R-7.5 average.

·
11,730 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts