DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I worry wrath may befall me by asking but in reading posts over the past few months I know there are those of you whom will be tactful and professional in your reply. As an individual without formal HVAC training nor any license, do you have knowledge or thoughts that, in the near future, I may be required to hold a license to purchase and handle R-410A for a residential application? Thank you.

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
From what I know it depends on how serious the US Gov't takes global warming.

In Canada we are next to Europe in taking it very serious. We control the flow of all refrigerants and who can buy and use them.

From what I know the US is a bit more lenient in that you can top up or add R22 to some systems as long as it is under a certain amount ( 10 lbs for example ).

Point being if Hillary gets elected and is very concerned about global warming she may institute regulations like we have where no homeowners can buy it w/o a license and you cannot just top up units. There is paperwork involved and they can arrive at your job/house to see if you have a proper recovery machine etc. Freon gestapo.

IMO it depends on politics.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I have the equipment, including a recovery machine. I just worry sometimes that I may need to study seriously enough to attempt passing an exam if I want to continue trying to service my own system. Trying to be proactive when---in reality---I'm busy enough that I don't really have the ambition.

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
The exam is not technical but more to do with knowing what the legal requirements are to handle/recover and dispose of refrigerants. They could not care less if you know how a TX thermostatic expansion valve works but that you know how to handle the refrigerant.

That is in Canada and probably similar in the US.

In Manitoba you take a 2 day weekend course of 8 hrs /day and they have the study material and you write it on the second day.

·
Administrator
42,390 Posts
Depends on how bad the gov wants to make more money for doing nothing down the road.

As of now I have heard of no rumors that they are going to require a cert for it in the USA.

Reactions: bfletcher7

·
Registered
13,976 Posts
The exam is not technical but more to do with knowing what the legal requirements are to handle/recover and dispose of refrigerants. They could not care less if you know how a TX thermostatic expansion valve works but that you know how to handle the refrigerant.

That is in Canada and probably similar in the US.

In Manitoba you take a 2 day weekend course of 8 hrs /day and they have the study material and you write it on the second day.
6 hr course in Ontario. Answer a dozen written questions and you pass. It's more for a legal paper trail then technical.

Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.