DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick issue here. I got some batts inside the framing of the bathroom wall right now. this wall is an exterior wall. how should i go about insulating this wall? do i need a vapor retarder too?

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
25,728 Posts
I like your questions--because I know the answers!

·
Exterior Construction
26,143 Posts
you are everywhere mike! like a angel on my shoulder:thumbup:
That is why he is the winner this month...!!!

I like your questions--because I know the answers!
Too Funny. :laughing::laughing:

What is the exterior sheathing/cladding like here behind those batts?

Be sure to open it up and air seal that exterior wall to get all the cold and unconditioned air locked up.

Some rigid foam cobbled between wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
37,139 Posts
Is this in a basement?
Is this in an older balloon framed house?
Trying to figure out why this looks like a raised platform with no bottom plate visible.
Going to be a royal pain to try and rip insulation along it's width then try to fit it into that odd ball stud spacing and not have gaps or compressed insulation.
I'd be using blue foam instead.
If it's balloon framed there should have been fire blocking at the top and bottom of the wall.

·
Exterior Construction
26,143 Posts
Is this in a basement?
Trying to figure out why this looks like a raised platform with no bottom plate visible.
Going to be a royal pain to try and rip insulation along it's width then try to fit it into that odd ball stud spacing and not have gaps or compressed insulation.
If it's balloon framed there should have been fire blocking at the top and bottom of the wall.
Looks like two layers of subfloor to me.

That might be what is covering up the bottom plate if it is there.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this in a basement?
this is upstairs in the bathroom in attic. the house was built so the 2nd floor itself is the attic. the ceiling is directly under the roof. i am unaware of blue foam?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is why he is the winner this month...!!!

Too Funny. :laughing::laughing:

What is the exterior sheathing/cladding like here behind those batts?

Be sure to open it up and air seal that exterior wall to get all the cold and unconditioned air locked up.

Some rigid foam cobbled between wouldn't hurt either.
the outside is regular siding. i should take a closer look by taking out the batts. thank you

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
theres a ton of nails sticking through. i assume its from installing the siding? and its pretty darn moist...some of the insulation is sticking to it as you can see. i am guessing the wetness was caused by condensation since this is an exterior wall.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If the plywood is still okay, time for some rigid foam cut and cobbled in there.

See if it drys out and isn't the result of interior condensation and moisture.
thank you. i dont think its plywood...when i touched it it felt like 1/8 thick. thats how thin it felt.

rigid foam meaning the flat panels?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts