DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a non-plumbing project with PVC (craft type stuff) and I've got a few pieces that connect with screw fittings (using these just because of how they look). After a couple of turns, they become really hard to screw in, which is leaving a lot of exposed threads that doesn't really look like I want it to. Are they only designed to go that far? Can I crank on them with a wrench without damaging them? Or should I cut the male fitting down and still be able to get it screwed into the female fitting?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
I'm doing a non-plumbing project with PVC (craft type stuff) and I've got a few pieces that connect with screw fittings (using these just because of how they look). After a couple of turns, they become really hard to screw in, which is leaving a lot of exposed threads that doesn't really look like I want it to. Are they only designed to go that far? Can I crank on them with a wrench without damaging them? Or should I cut the male fitting down and still be able to get it screwed into the female fitting?

Thanks!
Standard pipe thread screw fittings are tapered 0.750" / foot so if you crank down to bury the threads the female fitting will crack. If you shorten the male fitting you'll not get it started.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Standard pipe thread screw fittings are tapered 0.750" / foot so if you crank down to bury the threads the female fitting will crack. If you shorten the male fitting you'll not get it started.
I figured it must have been tapered the way it tightened up. Guess I'll try and find a way to cover up the threads or grind the extra part off or something.

Thanks for the help!

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,375 Posts
First try to see if you have cross threaded that joint.

turn the parts in reverse a few times to see if you can realign them.

When turning in reverse, you should feel and hear a few clicks as they realign.

Then try again. Maybe the joint will pull together better that way.

A wrap of colored tape might be useful to cover the threads if you want to.

ED

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Lubricate the threads and use a wrench. For plumbing work threads get Teflon tape or pipe dope that contains Teflon. The reason it contains Teflon is to lubricate the threads so they don’t gall when tightening. Tapered pipe threads will always have a little thread left exposed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts