DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just have a few questions about putting up a western red cadar fence. Im using materials from hoover fence and also have a question our two about there products. Also I live in minneapolis minnesota and this will relate to a question later. Ill posts the questions up and if more info is need Just ask.

1. I heard cedar should not be installed with cement as this causes premature rot is this true? If it is true then thats fine I have no problem with other solutions.
  2. If cement cant be used will pea gravel provide enough stability provided its buried deep enough? I actually prefer this method so basically just need confirmation from some experts that indeed I can place a 4x4 WRC posts with gravel going around it and it will be enough to keep the fence up :laughing:.
  3. I live in minneapolis will 3 feet provide enough stability to a post thats gonna be 5 feet above ground, and will it be buried enough so the frost does not effect it? If not I can always go deeper.
  4. Hoover fence has something called a OZ post thats is basically a 36 inch anchor that goes into the ground so cement does not have to be used and basically I wanna know if these are strong enough to replace the cement method. (money is not a issue and anything that can help speed me up is always good :thumbsup:)
I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this and reply and want to say thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you burry cedar in cement, or anything else that is essentially water tight it's going to rot. I don't know the product your mentioning but if it one of those stakes that you pound into the ground and then slide the post in; they work well but make sure there are holes in the bottom to drain water or it will rot completely out in about 3 years. I speak from experience

1 - 6 of 6 Posts