DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in East Tennessee & have a central heating & cooling system in my 2,200 square foot basement rancher with natural gas heat. It is a Janitrol unit with the furnace in the basement; there is an electrostatic filter system in the basement; & the rest of the unit is outside (I assume that is the compressor). There is no heating or air conditioning in the basement. As you can probably already tell, I'm not an HVAC savvy guy.

The whole system is at least 16 years old & may be several years older. The current thermostat is also a Janitrol unit. Everything works well, but we're remodeling & I want to install a new programmable thermostat.

After researching things, I have several questions regarding what type of replacement thermostat I need &/or can use:

(1) I assume I have a single stage system. Is that correct?

(2) Some thermostat specs state they are compatible with only a single stage system; some say single stage, millivolt; some say single stage, heat only, millivolt; & some say single stage, heat pump, multi-stage, millivolt, heat only.
When it says "heat pump" compatible, does that mean only heat pump compatibility or also heat pump compatibility? And what does the "heat only" spec mean? When it says both single stage & multi-stage, does that mean it will work with either? As you can tell, I'm ignorant when it comes to this stuff.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
(1) I assume I have a single stage system. Is that correct?
Correct.

(2) Some thermostat specs state they are compatible with only a single stage system; some say single stage, millivolt; some say single stage, heat only, millivolt; & some say single stage, heat pump, multi-stage, millivolt, heat only.
When it says "heat pump" compatible, does that mean only heat pump compatibility or also heat pump compatibility?...
Heat pump compatibility means you can use it on a heat pump system if you want to. "Also" would be the operative word.

... And what does the "heat only" spec mean?...
Just what it says. You won't be able to control your cooling with such a unit.

... When it says both single stage & multi-stage, does that mean it will work with either?....
Persactly. :whistling2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts