DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing an American Standard (ASYSTAT 570) tstat with a Hunter 44860 and the wiring codes are different.

I have an American Standard 2-stage heat (heat pump), single stage cool electric unit.

Old wiring:
American Standard:
Green Wire - G
Blue Wire - B
Red Wire - R
Yellow Wire - Y
White Wire - W
Black Wire - X2
Orange Wire - O

I called Hunter tech support and they had me wire it up this way:
Green Wire - G
Blue Wire - C
Red Wire - RC (left the jumper in place, connecting RC/RH)
Yellow Wire - Y1
White Wire - W2
Black Wire - E
Orange Wire - O

Trouble is, now nothing turns on, no fan, nothing.

Any ideas?
Much appreciated-

·
Registered
738 Posts
I notice that you changed the blue wire from B to C. Did you make the necessary changes on the other end of the wire? The colors of the wires really mean nothing. They are only used to identify each end of the wire, although there are standard practices pertaining to which color to use for each terminal (eg. red for r-r, yellow for y-y, etc).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@kenmac - besides a tripped breaker, is there any other way of checking? I shut off all the circuits before I took the old tstat off. Unfortunately, I missed one breaker and saw a brief spark when I was removing the wires. I immediately went down to my service panel and shut off the fourth (and elusive) breaker. I even checked the two breakers that are on the furnace...they're fine and didn't trip. (It wasn't next to the others in the stack...that's how I missed it.) So, the whole unit was powered off when I hooked up the new unit. Then, with all 4 breakers on, still no activity, although I can hear a *quiet* hum from the furnace. (I think it was always there?)

@hvac benny- I told the tech at Hunter what my wires went to on the old tstat, and they told me where to take them. The old tstat didn't take batteries and the new one does. They told me that the blue wire goes to the "C" terminal to provide power to the unit.

·
Registered
738 Posts
@hvac benny- I told the tech at Hunter what my wires went to on the old tstat, and they told me where to take them. The old tstat didn't take batteries and the new one does. They told me that the blue wire goes to the "C" terminal to provide power to the unit.[/quote]

So what you're saying is that you only changed the wires to the t-stat? If this is the case then you have c on the t-stat connected to b on the heat pump.

·
Administrator
42,361 Posts
You probably blew the fuse inside the air handler. if it doesn't have a fuse, then you may have burnt out the transformer.

·
HVAC / Plumbing
1,801 Posts
shorted out. Lucky you had a fuse ( some don't) or you would be buying a new transfomer Always make sure power is off

Good luck

·
Administrator
42,361 Posts
shorted out. Lucky you had a fuse ( some don't) or you would be buying a new transfomer Always make sure power is off

Good luck
I bet he knows that now. :)

cwelte. Your not the first to do that, and you won't be the last.

·
Administrator
42,361 Posts
We all have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts