DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we got a new mobile home and we know the roof has a couple soft spots on it. It's in the process of being moved to our land. It currently has shingles across it and they aren't in terrible shape just old as they are the original ones from 1993. We need to buy some time to get estimates and roofers to come have a look and give us their prices but I wanted to throw something down in the meantime to be able to buy enough time for them to figure out everything that need done. What can we use in the meantime to place over it to make sure it doesn't leak through during that time?
I was thinking about the tar roofing paper adding a layer or two on top of the shingles temporarily but I keep seeing that it's not made for direct exposure. Synthetic paper was another option but a lot pricer and if I was going to go that route I would be better off starting to pull off the bad shingles and wood myself. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

·
retired framer
51,233 Posts
So we got a new mobile home and we know the roof has a couple soft spots on it. It's in the process of being moved to our land. It currently has shingles across it and they aren't in terrible shape just old as they are the original ones from 1993. We need to buy some time to get estimates and roofers to come have a look and give us their prices but I wanted to throw something down in the meantime to be able to buy enough time for them to figure out everything that need done. What can we use in the meantime to place over it to make sure it doesn't leak through during that time?
I was thinking about the tar roofing paper adding a layer or two on top of the shingles temporarily but I keep seeing that it's not made for direct exposure. Synthetic paper was another option but a lot pricer and if I was going to go that route I would be better off starting to pull off the bad shingles and wood myself. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.
Your meaning of soft would help. A thin sheeting can be felt to bend when you walk on it but does not indicate an immediate problem. In 1993 it might be 3/8" on trusses on 24 inch on center. But a 25 year roof would be at end of life. Do you have attic access?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Throw a tarp on it if it's leaking. Use 1x2 strapping to hold it down.
If you can get cheap stuff like rhino,synthetic paper may be cheaper than a tarp same method applies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your meaning of soft would help. A thin sheeting can be felt to bend when you walk on it but does not indicate an immediate problem. In 1993 it might be 3/8" on trusses on 24 inch on center. But a 25 year roof would be at end of life. Do you have attic access?
By soft I meant that there are about 3 spots total that sink when you stand on it. Not to terrible in that I didn't feel safe enough to walk quickly across but that I feel with enough weigh it on it could break and fall in. There is not roof access on the inside the only way to know for sure would be to remove the shingles completely. The rest of the roof however does feel solid and has no give to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Throw a tarp on it if it's leaking. Use 1x2 strapping to hold it down.
If you can get cheap stuff like rhino,synthetic paper may be cheaper than a tarp same method applies.
They had a huge tarp over it originally I had one roofer out who quoted 16k for the repair but mentioned it would be an entirely new roof considering the age and what he felt but didn't actually lift the tarp to see.

·
retired framer
51,233 Posts
They had a huge tarp over it originally I had one roofer out who quoted 16k for the repair but mentioned it would be an entirely new roof considering the age and what he felt but didn't actually lift the tarp to see.
Just for the age I would tarp it until it can be replaced. When looking for an attic access, it will be in the most nonsensical place like the smallest closet ceiling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just for the age I would tarp it until it can be replaced. When looking for an attic access, it will be in the most nonsensical place like the smallest closet ceiling.
I will see what I can find in terms of access worse case scenario I'll make a cut in in one of the closets myself if needed and see what parts will need replaced and how much damage is actually there.

·
Naildriver
14,195 Posts
When looking for an attic access, it will be in the most nonsensical place like the smallest closet ceiling.
I believe this is a mobile home and it won't have attic access, as the space is barely 24" tall . If it is a roof over, I am sure no plans were made for access.
Of course pictures would always help us give better answers.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I would consider a metal roof. It might solve all the issues.

·
Registered
Building my last home
1,161 Posts
I have never seen a mobile home with roof shingles. Certainly not that way from the factory constructed it. There is no attic access as you do not have an attic, maybe 6-8" of space between the exterior of the roof and the inside.
Mobiles are built like travel trailers, and the top plywood is more like luan than plywood.
The roofs are not made to be walked on and all of the ones I have ever seen were some form of rubber roofing.
You mention nothing about the time frame where you will be using this MH. Might be less expensive to build a metal cover over it and when you done and sell it you could use the cover as the basis of a storage building.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have never seen a mobile home with roof shingles. Certainly not that way from the factory constructed it. There is no attic access as you do not have an attic, maybe 6-8" of space between the exterior of the roof and the inside.
Mobiles are built like travel trailers, and the top plywood is more like luan than plywood.
The roofs are not made to be walked on and all of the ones I have ever seen were some form of rubber roofing.
You mention nothing about the time frame where you will be using this MH. Might be less expensive to build a metal cover over it and when you done and sell it you could use the cover as the basis of a storage building.
Today I would say that 99% of "mobile homes" have shingled roofs and the majority since the eighties when we bought ours. 2x4 construction with 2 x 2 truss structures in the roof.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts