DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
i carved this sword
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im curious if this would work, and if allowed by code, where a beam terminates on a partition wall, is where a joist (2x10)needs to come in like others in that direction, i put a blocking thing spanning across for something to nail to, is that ok? did i do that wrong? the partition wall is 2x4

Attachments

·
retired framer
38,973 Posts
im curious if this would work, and if allowed by code, where a beam terminates on a partition wall, is where a joist (2x10)needs to come in like others in that direction, i put a blocking thing spanning across for something to nail to, is that ok? did i do that wrong? the partition wall is 2x4
Is the partition wall a load bearing wall down to a foundation?

·
i carved this sword
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the partition wall a load bearing wall down to a foundation?
yeah,i got joists on it and a partition wall above it the next floor

·
retired framer
38,973 Posts
What you have is fine the blocks are seldom called for over the wall.
More often we would see the join in direction right over the wall especially when there is a wall above it. Changing direction on the floor plywood can be troublesome with lumps and bumps and not so straight cuts. It gets well hidden when it is under the wall. :wink2:
Do you understand the rules on bridging between the joists?

·
i carved this sword
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What you have is fine the blocks are seldom called for over the wall.
More often we would see the join in direction right over the wall especially when there is a wall above it. Changing direction on the floor plywood can be troublesome with lumps and bumps and not so straight cuts. It gets well hidden when it is under the wall.

Do you understand the rules on bridging between the joists?
not really, but i think when a wall is over or under the bridging is 16 oc but i could be wrong

·
retired framer
38,973 Posts
not really, but i think when a wall is over or under the bridging is 16 oc but i could be wrong
bridging is evenly spaced no more than 7 ft from wall or each other.

So if the span was 13 ft it would be at 6 1/2 ft

if the span was 15 it would be at 5 and 10 ft.

It is never drawn in but there would be a note on the plan. :wink2:

·
Hammered Thumb
2,803 Posts
I think this is just theoretical, so nothing will align like that in the field. If it did, I believe it would look more like this:
feral.jpg

Beam (blue) min 1.5" bearing, so you don't have enough of the 2x4 wall for the 'aligned' joist (orange) to bear on the wall. So it will have to hanger into a double header (red), which then needs a double joist (green) each side as the header doesn't have enough support on the 2x4 wall below. Also you need blocking (purple) between joists over each bearing point when not connected by a rim joist. Bridging (yellow) max 8'.

·
retired framer
38,973 Posts
I think this is just theoretical, so nothing will align like that in the field. If it did, I believe it would look more like this:
View attachment 608683

Beam (blue) min 1.5" bearing, so you don't have enough of the 2x4 wall for the 'aligned' joist (orange) to bear on the wall. So it will have to hanger into a double header (red), which then needs a double joist (green) each side as the header doesn't have enough support on the 2x4 wall below. Also you need blocking (purple) between joists over each bearing point when not connected by a rim joist. Bridging (yellow) max 8'.
We only see that solid blocking above a wall when the wall is a stress wall.
Is it in the code?

·
i carved this sword
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i thought about what I was told, thought "why not change that partition wall to a 2x6 wall instead? giving 2.5 inch for the beam and the double header can sit on the plate", as for bridging i tend to do it in an overbuilding way but i figure it might make the floor that much stronger, i wonder if i still need the bridging over the plate with the butting joist that close and with my bridging bring 4' oc

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts