DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mad Scientist
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the community workshop/hackerspace I belong to, most of the power for our tools comes from overhead power tracks, which look a bit like the tracks for track lights. Connections to drop cords are made with tap boxes that look like this:

We've just expanded into another part of the building, where there is more of this track and almost no receptacles available. We'll need to get some more drop cords added, but first we need to know if it's still possible to find these tap boxes, and where we might find them.

Anyone got any ideas?

·
Mad Scientist
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It appears to be manufactured by Bulldog, and the name on the label says "Trol E Duct".

Searching for Trol E Duct on the Google turns up a few hits from Siemens, for what seems to be a newer variant of the same concept.

We'll have to see what other supply houses are near here, but I know someone went to Viking and they've got nothing. It is definitely quite ancient. Every other reference I can find to Trol-E-Duct refers to a bus system with rolling/sliding power taps, which these are not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a 1950's (about 1957) Bulldog Electric track system that had fixed and movable 120VAC outlets. Company was bought by Seimans and they promoted the larger bus/duct systems (BD) and discontinued the original small system.

What you are showing is a single drop w/ fuse... They are no longer code in many states because of not being totally enclosed.

If you are going to dismantle the existing system I would be interested in purchasing some of it.

Brian Stearns

1 - 5 of 5 Posts