DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finishing off my attic and I have a question. Is it generally ok to run Romex in the void of an A-frame attic? I'm planning to insulate the entire thing so there will be fiberglass insulation between all the ceiling joists. I've run a bunch of IC recessed fixtures along the flat part of the ceiling as shown in my quick sketch below. I guess I'm wondering whether I should have used conduit. I have plastic attic vents running from the bottom soffit up to the void created by the ceiling joists and I installed a ridge vent at the top for air flow. I figured since I could run Romex without conduit in my walls, the ceiling should be the same thing right?

·
Super Moderator
10,196 Posts
You are fine. Just remember to staple the wire at every 4.5 feet, and where it enters into the light junction box.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Just remember to staple the wire at every 4.5 feet
That's dumb.

It's code, but it's dumb.

I guess they expect leprecons to get in there some day and pull on the cable :yes:. There is no access to an "attic" like this. It's used for insulation and mechanical systems.

·
Super Moderator
10,196 Posts
That's dumb.

It's code, but it's dumb.

I guess they expect leprecons to get in there some day and pull on the cable :yes:. There is no access to an "attic" like this. It's used for insulation and mechanical systems.
We only advocate code correct installations here!:whistling2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.