DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to do some plumbing and using 3/4" Wirsbo PEX. I have the expander tool and the collars and I was wondering if these can be installed directly onto 3/4 inch copper. Or is there an an adapter I need to solder on first that the PEX attaches too.

·
Registered
447 Posts
You need an adapter of some sort. Either a copper/brass wirsbo barbed fitting type deal that can be soldered onto the copper, or some type of adapters to go from male pipe thread on one, and female pipe thread on the other. If you aren't good at soldering, a threaded sharkbite fitting on the copper end could work, or propress if you have access to a propress tool, or perhaps some type of compression fitting.

A soldered copper by pex adapter made by uponor would probably be the best answer, but you do have other choices.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need an adapter of some sort. Either a copper/brass wirsbo barbed fitting type deal that can be soldered onto the copper, or some type of adapters to go from male pipe thread on one, and female pipe thread on the other. If you aren't good at soldering, a threaded sharkbite fitting on the copper end could work, or propress if you have access to a propress tool, or perhaps some type of compression fitting.

A soldered copper by pex adapter made by uponor would probably be the best answer, but you do have other choices.
Thanks. I'm pretty good at soldering so I'll look for the adapter that can be soldered into either a 3/4 inch elbow or a female solder end that can slide over a 3/4 inch copper pipe.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I've attached a photo of what I need since I'm having a hard time finding it. It looks like 3/4 inch brass hat gets soldered onto the male end of a 45 degree elbow. Not sure why a short piece of 3/4 inch copper pipe wouldn't also work.....

fitting 1.jpg

Looks like this may be what I need but the barbed end was throwing me off. Looks like the Wirsbo gets expanded over the barbed end using the expander tool.

https://www.amazon.com/PIECES-XFITTING-PROPEX-ADAPTER-EXPANSION/dp/B07N7C9RZK/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=3%2F4+inch+brass+uponor&qid=1583434055&sr=8-4

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've attached a photo of what I need since I'm having a hard time finding it. It looks like 3/4 inch brass hat gets soldered onto the male end of a 45 degree elbow. Not sure why a short piece of 3/4 inch copper pipe wouldn't also work.....

View attachment 588123

Looks like this may be what I need but the barbed end was throwing me off. Looks like the Wirsbo gets expanded over the barbed end using the expander tool.

https://www.amazon.com/PIECES-XFITTING-PROPEX-ADAPTER-EXPANSION/dp/B07N7C9RZK/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=3%2F4+inch+brass+uponor&qid=1583434055&sr=8-4

I like your description of the "brass hat". That's cute. The copper fitting in your picture is called a "street 45". Normal copper fittings have female ends on both sides. Street fittings have one side male and one side female.

Then it appears that the fitting that the pex is attached to must be similar to the kind that you found on Amazon, only it's copper instead of brass. It's hard to see, but I believe there is a barbed end that goes into that pex.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm all set. I just went ahead and ordered 100' of 5/8 diameter HePEX (Uponor) and the fittings I'll need to attach everything. I ordered from supplyhouse.com. I'll post some pictures once the project as done to help others who may be trying to use the same product.

I have to wonder why the previous owner went with Uponor. Seems like a pricey product and none of the local plumbing supply stores nearby carry it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have another dilemma. Since the PEX A is expanded over the fittings will 3/4 inch fittings work for 5/8" PEX A?
No, but in your first post you said you were dealing with 3/4 pex and 3/4 copper.

If you are going from one size to another, you will need some type of reducing fittings.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, but in your first post you said you were dealing with 3/4 pex and 3/4 copper.

If you are going from one size to another, you will need some type of reducing fittings.
I was thinking they used 3/4 inch for my heating but upon closer inspection it's 5/8". I ordered the correct fittings that reduce the "street 45" from 3/4" to 5/8" and the correct size adapters and 90 degree elbows. I'll have everything I need in a few days once it's delivered.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts