DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The other day I installed a new garbage disposal, and rather than wiring it directly I decided to go ahead and put in a new outlet under the sink so I could just plug it in, making future disposal installation easier.

My dilemma is that my dumbass purchased the wrong receptacle and then proceeded to wire it in, only to realize my mistake when I tried to plug in the disposal.

For visual reference, here's a link to amazon for the receptacle I bought.

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-106-05821-ISP-250-Volt-Receptacle-Electrical/dp/B00002N7IK

At first I had just assumed it was a Nema 5-20 T shape receptacle, except both plugs have perpendicular holes instead of just the left. Now I have no clue what I'm dealing with.

Ideally I would rather not have to get back under the sink and install a whole new outlet... is there any type of adapter I could buy that would fit this outlet and convert it to a standard Nema 5-15 grounded plug?

Any guidance would be much appreciated...

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
You have a 250V receptacle and you need a 125V receptacle. They make them that way for a reason. Get the correct one and change it. Sorry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kyle!

I figured that would probably be the case...

The sears near me was going out of business so I picked up that receptacle real cheap, hence me not paying enough attention to it when I bought it.

·
Electrician
1,390 Posts
You won't have to change the circuit or any wireing, get the right plug and it is a quick 5 minute swap of the plugs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts