DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I painted a kitchen. I used semi-gloss enamel water base. The paint I applied today is pealing off. it is the same as when you put a masking tale on a wall and then you take off. The kitchen used to be painted with oil base paint. Now, I have to take off the enamel paint and start from the begining again. Any advice as to what to do next is greatly appreciated so the enamel paint I apply again does not peal off. Thank You

·
Premium Member
7,894 Posts
Complicated situation here. The old oil base likely has lead in it so sanding may be out of the question. What should have been done if no lead present is a scuff sand to rough up the surface and then an application of a bonding primer like Zinsser's 1-2-3. Allow to dry overnight then apply your topcoat(s). Now that the paint is on, it could be a mess trying to remove the just-applied paint. If you can pull/scrape it off, that would be great. Then you could start from scratch.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Did you wash it beforehand?

·
Registered
163 Posts
My word of advice, before you paint again, go to an actual paint store. NOT home depot, lowe's ext. Ask for advice it's free. If you had come to me, I would have told you that it had to be washed first (tsp) then PRIMED before putting on a latex/acrylic paint. Water based paints do not adhere well to oil based paints. this is why primer is needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts