DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ok cool. Yeah I got real lucky with the suspended ceiling and basement, it's real easy to run wires. So I will run a line consisting of ground, hot, and neutral from the basement up the wall, run all three wires through the box, then out of the box up the wall across the ceiling to the fixture, basically running one wire and cutting into the hot (for the switch), and cutting into the neutral (to power the advanced Insteon switch), and of course the ground attaching to the box itself, and connected to the ground on the switch?

·
Electrician
818 Posts
Alright, i'm guessing I should use 14-2 wire?
Where are you getting the feed from? If you are going to make this a dedicated circuit from the panel, then just make it a 15A circuit and use 14-2. If you are going to splice into an existing junction box, you need to size the wire to that circuit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Im going to run it off of a nearby outlet, which was recently installed by an electrician so it's new. It's on its own circuit which currently consists of just 2 outlets.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
If you are going to splice into an existing junction box, you need to size the wire to that circuit.
good advice, I just went into the basement and read the wire. It's Romex 12 AWG rated up to 600 volts, connected to a 20 amp breaker.

·
Super Moderator
9,301 Posts
Im going to run it off of a nearby outlet, which was recently installed by an electrician so it's new. It's on its own circuit which currently consists of just 2 outlets.
What size is the fuse or breaker?
If 15 amp, then you can use #14.

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
I think all your questions have been answered so here is a diagram of your previous line drawing. I'm not sure which of the two receptacles your wiring the extension from but you get the idea.

I'm showing pigtails at the receptacle you do not have to use pigtails you can just connect to the unoccupied screws with your extension for the light.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Ok I just want to be sure on one more thing. When I look at this Insteon wiring diagram, I see wires coming into the bottom of the junction box (assuming it's from the circuit box) and wires going out of the top of the box (assuming that goes to the light). It looks like based on this picture the LINE goes to the light, and the LOAD comes from the box, is that correct?

Attachments

·
Electrician
818 Posts
No, Line is the feed and Load is the light. This is the standard.

That drawing doesn't picture the typical box configuration. However, when dealing with boxes you never know how someone wired it so you gotta test it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I knew there was something funny about that diagram. Lets just say when I wire the new line for this, the wire coming from the basement is going into the bottom of the box, and the wire to the light is going out of the top. I just thought it was kind of funny that the diagram is the reverse of that, like your circuit panel is in the attic, and you have a floor that lights up.

·
Electrician
818 Posts
I knew there was something funny about that diagram. Lets just say when I wire the new line for this, the wire coming from the basement is going into the bottom of the box, and the wire to the light is going out of the top. I just thought it was kind of funny that the diagram is the reverse of that, like your circuit panel is in the attic, and you have a floor that lights up.
It's good to keep you on your toes because you'll find a lot of stuff that doesn't seem to make sense when you deal with electricity.

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
It's also a good idea to pay attention to the type light switch before making a drawing.... my apologies...:icon_redface:

Previous drawing has been corrected

21 - 34 of 34 Posts