DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone - I'm adding a basement bar and have decided to use Knotty pine on the walls that surround it. One of the walls is an exterior wall and there are furring strips attached to it - I'm debating on whether to put a vapor barrier between the furring strips and the knotty pine? Any thoughts on this ?

Just an FYI - I can't frame out that wall because of some pipes and space issues. Thank you

·
retired painter
12,227 Posts
I'd just throw a coat of poly or varnish on the back side, even oil base primer would work but you'd have to make sure you kept the front side clean. Oil base coatings will seal the wood better than water based will.

·
Registered
13,620 Posts
One of the key issues with basement walls is the existing flow of loisture through the concrete. Over the years they have learned that moisture vapor can be just as much of a problem as liquid water and worse since you can't see it. Traditional tar coatings on the outside of the foundation will at best slow the moisture vapor but that moisture can come from above grade all the way down to below the footings.

Where a vapor barrier seems like a positive step it will block any moisture coming through and allow it to accumulate until the surfaces directly behind the plastic are as wet as the soil outside. Difficult call. Probably the vapor barrier and sealing the back of the pine as suggested is the best you can do but keep your nose tuned in as any "basement smell" will be a first sign of mold.

Bud

Reactions: JohnyFever
1 - 9 of 9 Posts