DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a terrible contractor hire a sub to install redoak hardwood floors in my house. The new boards were installed over an old T&G subfloor in the same direction. Now it seems that the the new flooring is popping up and it not as flat as when it was first installed. Was this installed incorrectly? should this has been addressed before the install?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hardwood usually is installed perpendicular to the joists in my experience, which would be same orientation as a plank subfloor. Properly done, the finish floor would lay flat regardless -- there are plenty of L-shaped hallways out there with hardwood.

If you're not happy with the floor, and the install is objectively bad, I'd talk to your contractor... that's the person who took responsibly to get the job done.

Can you post pictures of the work?

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
Little late know but I would have insisted on them adding at least 2-1/2 decking screws to the old sub flooring and a layer of at least 3/8 A/C plywood, then craft paper or tar paper before installing the new flooring.
That old subfloor likely was cupped and the new flooring is just following the hills and valleys.

Reactions: rusty baker

·
Registered
190 Posts
Some changes to the hardwood floor flatness could be caused by moisture change in the environment. As the moisture level of the wood increases, it naturally expands. Some pictures of your floor would help to troubleshoot the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts