DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a new single, under counter oven in a guest house addition. There is no stove. It has been pre-wired, about 35 feet, from the panel to a J-box in the wall behind the oven cabinet with 8-3 Stranded romex (black, red, green, bare ground). It's a 3720 watt oven so doing the math I get 15.5 amps or a 20 amp dual pole breaker. In my reading I am seeing most oven circuits are on 30, 40 or 50 amp breakers. For this oven I am planning to use a 30 amp breaker. Is that fine or should I use a 20?

The cable from the oven is pretty standard, red #10 aluminum, black #10 copper, white #12 copper and green #12 copper. What is the best way to connect these? In my reading it sounds like lugs are a much better choice than wire nuts (actually sounds like wire nuts are a bad idea). Or is there something better?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,146 Posts
I would use a 30 amp 2 pole breaker and make the connection with blue wire nuts in a 4" junction box. Absolutely nothing wrong with wire nuts for this purpose.

·
Very Stable Genius
4,654 Posts
Have you checked the manufacturers recommendations? Installation
guide usually includes their requirements. You could also post the model
# and someone here would likely look it up.
Also, where are you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply rj. I currently have, in place, 40 amp breaker I could use. Doing a little more research it looks to me like, with #8 going to the oven j-box and a 35' run I should be ok using that. Am I missing something or would you agree. Also, by "blue wire"nuts do you mean any blue wire nuts? I'm not clear on what the color has to do with it. I gather size but I've seen very small blue wire nuts so is it something else? Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Am in New Mexico. In the installation guide that came with the oven all I could find was the wattage, nothing that said what size breaker to have on the circuit. It is a Whirlpool WOS51ECOA. For the most part it will be pretty straight forward and my only real concerns are making sure to have an adequate breaker but not too much for the wiring and making good long term connections in the J-box. Thanks CodeM!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. Those are the connectors I picked up. Now all I need to find is a tandem breaker with one 20 amp 2 pole and one 50 amp 2 pole. I suspect one of the local electric supply houses will have it. Again thanks for the information, it was very helpful. Oh yeah ... have a great Thanksgiving! (I hope to do a Turkey in this oven while I do another one on the grill)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Have you checked the manufacturers recommendations? Installation
guide usually includes their requirements. You could also post the model
# and someone here would likely look it up.
Also, where are you?
That's right. Manufacturer's installation instructions ALWAYS supersede any other NEC rules or calculations that you may do. NEC 110.3(B)

So just do whatever the instructions call for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts