DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Im a woodworking hobbiest and right now I'm working on a project that is an end table built to look like an old Nintendo (yep, you read that right). I'm wiring up an accessory outlet to it as well as an led and a switch that will turn the LED on as well as a lamp. It'll all make sense when you see the picture.

Im no blueprint artist, so bare with me. basically, power comes in, goes to a latching NO push button (power), then to a momentary NC button (reset), then through a 5 amp LED and over to a single outlet which will have a lamp plugged in. In short, push the power button, LED comes on, lamp comes on. Push reset button to make them flicker for that extra retro feel.

Now, in parallel with that circuit is the duplex outlet, which will be where the controllers would normally plug in. This is intended for charging a phone, laptop, some sort of device like that. My question is this: If whoever I sell this to decides to plug a vacuum cleaner or something else that pulls a lot of current into the duplex, would the circuit with the 5A LED be at risk of overloading? If they were in series I would be completely sure that it would, but being in parallel is there still the same risk? and if so, is there some way to isolate them?

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
A heavy load plugged into the duplex receptacle will not overload or damage the LED.

The current in a parallel circuit is the sum of the currents drawn in the various sub-branches of the circuit.

Each sub-branch draws current independently of the rest depending on what is connected and what is plugged in and switched on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.