DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. Here's one. I want to use a quad plastic receptacle and face with this on one side wired into a standard dual outlet. I want to know this, I want to plug in a single setting air conditioner to the outlet and use this thermostat, will it work for the ac since its not a heat source, as in, does the thermostat operate off of temperature range or only if its lower than the desired temp will it kick in to allow current flow?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello?

Tried multiple posts can't seem to find them.
Here's one. I want to use a quad plastic receptacle and face with this on one side wired into a standard dual outlet. I want to know this, I want to plug in a single setting air conditioner to the outlet and use this thermostat, will it work for the ac since its not a heat source, as in, does the thermostat operate off of temperature range or only if its lower than the desired temp will it kick in to allow current flow?

Attachments

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
It will not work with modern window units. That unit is meant to be used only for electric heating.

When you leave, set the temp to 75 or maybe 76, if it tends to get hot in there really quick. The best way to stop the place from heating up, is to use Window darkening tint and either blinds that you can raise or lower, depending on when you are home or away.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
you should start your own thread regarding this but the answer is:

ac stats and heat stats operate in reverse of each other.

with an ac stat, when the temp rises above the set temp the contacts close and power the unit. When the temp drops to the low range of the setting, the contacts open

example; (using the 5 degree range described below);

setting the stat at 70, when the temp reaches 72 1/2 the contacts close turning on the ac. when the temp drops to 67 1/2 the contacts open shutting off the ac.

with a heating stat the contacts close when the temp drops below the temp setting and open when the temp reaches the high end of the range setting. example- if you set your thermostat to 70, using a 5 degree range (more than typical but for example purposes), when the temp reaches 67 1/2 the contacts close. When the ambient temp reaches 72 1/2 the contacts close and the heat stops.

Other than that, your intended installation has some problems but likely could be overcome if you are willing to do a little work.

unless of course you live in a rental unit. Then none of what you are asking about is allowed unless the landlord specifically allows it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, nap, I just stopped at a scrap yard down the street at lunch, just quick wired up this 1 wire thermostat I pulled out of this big stainless freezer, it's turning the unit on and off so I'm gonna put it all in a box. Thank you so much.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
Thanks, nap, I just stopped at a scrap yard down the street at lunch, just quick wired up this 1 wire thermostat I pulled out of this big stainless freezer, it's turning the unit on and off so I'm gonna put it all in a box. Thank you so much.
One wire?

As I said there are other possible problems with the installation. The answer I provided was simply as explanation of the functions of a heat thermostat compared to an ac thermostat. If you are wise you won't do as you explained.

If you are who I suspect you are, happy trolls to you.

Btw: of all the freezers I have worked on, not a single one had a thermostat with a range high enough to be able to be used as an a/c thermostat. I don't think any of the refrigerators I have worked on had a thermostat with a range high enough to be used as an ac thermostat. It would make no sense their ranges would go nearly as high as an a/c thermostat

·
Special User
917 Posts
Other than that, your intended installation has some problems but likely could be overcome if you are willing to do a little work.
Another problem is that heating t-stats are designed for almost purely resistive loads, and A/C is a whomping big inductive load. Expect the contacts to destroy themselves in short order, possibly in a nice little shower of sparks. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.