DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Coconut Pete's paella!
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We did some remodeling and shifting of rooms. The end result is that I now have a nice TV room w/ the TV on one wall. Behind that wall 1/2 the space is occupied by a bathroom and the other half by my wifes new office.

Since the TV is on the wall I'd like to put an outlet there. Since the small room behind it has one dinky outlet w/ the ancient wiring I'd like to add one there too.

Ideally .... 1 outlet of the recessed kind w/ only 1 plug on the wall behind the TV.

On the other side of the wall (in the office) 1 duplex outlet for my wife's laptop, printer, desk lamp etc.

I can't figure out based on the text in NEC if I can have one single and one double and nothing else on one circuit. It talks about sharing vs. non sharing etc. but the duplex outlets count as 2 right? So what does 1 + 2 = ?

Does this make sense? I'd hate to have to run 2 circuits but I guess I'd do it if I had to. Would it change the game if I did 2 SINGLE outlets? One behind the TV and one in the office. I could always plug a power bar into the office outlet.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
We did some remodeling and shifting of rooms. The end result is that I now have a nice TV room w/ the TV on one wall. Behind that wall 1/2 the space is occupied by a bathroom and the other half by my wifes new office.

Since the TV is on the wall I'd like to put an outlet there. Since the small room behind it has one dinky outlet w/ the ancient wiring I'd like to add one there too.

Ideally .... 1 outlet of the recessed kind w/ only 1 plug on the wall behind the TV.

On the other side of the wall (in the office) 1 duplex outlet for my wife's laptop, printer, desk lamp etc.

I can't figure out based on the text in NEC if I can have one single and one double and nothing else on one circuit. It talks about sharing vs. non sharing etc. but the duplex outlets count as 2 right? So what does 1 + 2 = ?

Does this make sense? I'd hate to have to run 2 circuits but I guess I'd do it if I had to. Would it change the game if I did 2 SINGLE outlets? One behind the TV and one in the office. I could always plug a power bar into the office outlet.
You can put a single and a duplex receptacle on a general purpose circuit.

·
Super Moderator
8,867 Posts
You can share the receptacles one the same circuit.
1+2 makes 3.

·
Coconut Pete's paella!
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SWEET!

I was hoping / thinking that it would be OK to have 1+2 on one circuit.

Thank You.

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
It may be helpful to know that the recessed single receptacles are often called "clock receptacles" because they were originally intended for wall clocks.

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
You can have just a single duplex receptacle on a circuit, and it qualifies as a multi-receptacle circuit, as a duplex is 2 receptacles.

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
How unique, where do you find a wall clock that has a power cord?:laughing:
An antique store, probably. Actually a LOT of them are still in service in older buildings. They are synchronized to the AC line, but also offer centralized setting functions using ripple current injection. It's pretty cool old technology.

·
liscenced electrician
1,013 Posts
How unique, where do you find a wall clock that has a power cord?:laughing:
in a school for example

I believe you can have as many receptacles as you like on the same circuit in a Residence. This is because more receptacles are just a convenience. People don't have more appliances just because they have more receptacles.

I believe you can have 10 duplex receptacles on a 14ga circuit or 13 on a 12ga circuit in a commercial application

correct me if im wrong

1 - 9 of 9 Posts