DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and am unsure if this is where to post my question...so re-direct me if necessary. I am installing a pvc p-trap for a new sink and was unsure how to connect the pvc trap to the metal male threads of the waste line. any suggestions would be appreciated

·
HVAC / Plumbing
1,801 Posts
Don't know what type metal waste your talking about... The connection will depend on type of metal pipe... Compression fitting , etc,

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
You need a Desanco fitting. It screws onto the pipe from the wall and has a slip-joint fitting on it to connect the PVC pipe (drain pipe from the sink) Click on the link below for pictures of male and female Desanco fittings. You need the female to connect to the metal pipe from the wall.

http://www.watts.com/pro/_products_sub.asp?catId=68&parCat=643

·
Remodeler
215 Posts
Do you mean the drain pipe coming down vertically from your sink? Or the drain pipe coming horizontally out of the wall? It would be very rare to have 1 1/4" drain pipe in your wall, especially galvanized (copper maybe, but very unlikely to be 1 1/4" galvanized). So I'm assuming you mean the drain tailpiece coming down from the bottom of your sink. That is normally 1 1/4", and presumably it is chrome if you are saying it is metal (it is also plastic sometimes; generally black or grey). The threads on the bottom of those tail pieces is to screw on a metal drain piece extension if needed. Otherwise, regardless of whether the bottom of your 1 1/4" metal drain tailpiece is metal or plastic, threaded or not, they all go into a pvc p-trap assembly just the same and just as easily. You may be using either a 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" pvc p-trap set; either way, there should be a slip nut on the trap (specifically, the "u" part of the p-trap) that will accept the 1 1/4" drain tailpiece from your sink.

·
Registered
5 Posts
pipe

I am new to the forum and am unsure if this is where to post my question...so re-direct me if necessary. I am installing a pvc p-trap for a new sink and was unsure how to connect the pvc trap to the metal male threads of the waste line. any suggestions would be appreciated
kichen sink usually 1 1/2" lav 1 1/4 " if pvc both could be 1 1/2 " they make a fernco no hub rubber fitting that you can use a nut driver or screwdriver to connect pipes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts