DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am opening up a wall between the kitchen and the dining room. I am not taking the wall down completely just making an opening. There is a PVC vent pipe running down the wall attached to the sink faucet. The water drains down. I would like to reroute this around the opening I'm going to make using 90 or 45 degree elbows. Is this OK to do for a vent pipe?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,695 Posts
Do you know how many fixture are served on the pipe?
If it is only the one sink, you can offset the vent. Do it as high as possible and use drainage fittings and grade the pipe 1/4" per ft.
We do it all the time on kitchen sink windows

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it is only the one sink, you can offset the vent. Do it as high as possible and use drainage fittings and grade the pipe 1/4" per ft.
I can see it is connected to the main drainage vent that goes to the roof.
The toilet/ bathtub are connected to it to drain down but the kitchen sink vent is connected to that also but at a higher point.
I hope I explained it right.
I'm not a plumber but I have done some simple pvc work before, so I'm thinking that I can do this but I don't want to do it wrong where I disupt the airflow.

·
Master Plumber
1,615 Posts
I think what he wants to do is go around the window frame then up 90/90/90/90 we can 90 then 90 up. at least under our code cant be done 4 90s on a vent or drain. poor snake trying to go down that vent if you cant get to a clean out.:whistling2:

·
Premium Member
11,695 Posts
I think what he wants to do is go around the window frame then up 90/90/90/90 we can 90 then 90 up. at least under our code cant be done 4 90s on a vent or drain. poor snake trying to go down that vent if you cant get to a clean out.:whistling2:
Good point. Can't say what my code would say- never ran into that situation. I have put a lot of offsets in vents before though :laughing: What about a new header for the opening? I made the assumption a new hole in the top plate was needed...

·
Registered
45 Posts
If it is only a vent then yes you can do it. You can't wet vent thru a kitchen sink so that's not a wet vent just be sure if you turn pipe from vertical to horizontal it is done 6" above the flood level of said sink

1 - 10 of 10 Posts