DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to re-pour a section of sidewalk in my front yard where the new PVC sewer service was put in. How do I protect the new pipe (that runs shallow at the surface of the yard under the sidewalk) from the heat of the curing concrete? The concrete will "cover" the top half of the pipe but I want to protect this new and expensive work from any damage.

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,772 Posts
How do I protect the new pipe (that runs shallow at the surface of the yard under the sidewalk) from the heat of the curing concrete?
Ayuh,..... No worries,..... Concrete don't really get "Hot", compared to the heat Pvc can easily take,.....

·
Registered
628 Posts
All depends on what type of PVC that you used. If schedule 80 or 120, I would not give it a second thought. Schedule 40, you may have issues with the weight of the concrete. I can tell you for sure that it will crack when the concrete starts moving. I would have buried the pipe a lot deeper than that. I would have also not dug up the sidewalk. That small amount of concrete will not generate that much heat.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The concrete " heat " while curing is not an issue . If you are still worried about it or want to be extra careful do you have any shingle tar paper laying around ? Put 2-3 layers over the pipe and call it done.......... pour away . I would make sure to tamp the soil real good to minimize the concrete moving after the pour . Not just while curing but 5 , 10 or 15 years from now . That is what could harm the pipe .

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
depends on the avg depth of your frost,,, embedding it in conc will protect it from movement,,, just for ***** & giggles, place a 6" piece around it for a 'sleeve' to make replacement easier @ future date,,, any 'heat' from hydration's negligible

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Embedding it in concrete will help it not crush. That is what the engineers had us do under a bus parking lot and it worked.

·
Hammered Thumb
2,785 Posts
The concrete will "cover" the top half of the pipe
If I am understanding correctly you have 2" cover on your sewer. I would not be concerned about the PVC, but to the concrete. I would want the PVC fully encased (at very min 8" thick) with concrete. Because its so shallow, a friction sleeve would be good too. So next to the sidewalk you basically are laying sod on top of the pipe?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts