DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all, I'm looking for anybody who has used pvc or rubber tile in a basement application.They seem like they would be pretty flexible and with no adhessive you could use them on a cement floor that was pretty tore.Short of something like this I believe I'll be using SLC and tile:wink: Thanks in advance for any feedback

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
Interlocking rubber tiles, rectangles, brick patterns, etc. work out great. They are easy to install and maintain---if you damage one you just pull it out and slip another in its place. They are great over concrete since the flex and you don't have to glue them down in most cases. You can get all sorts of colors, thicknesses and patterns.

Shop online though for your best options. The limited selection box stores have are of poor quality and too thin to start.

Rubber floors are great to walk on and for kids and pets to roll around and play on.

The only real drawback? The surface is porous so make sure any construction material dust is past tense and cleaned up or you will grind it into the surface.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds pretty easy to deal with.From what I have read they can be installed right over the cement and are mold resistant.Would you use a vapor barrier? The basement is only used for storage and is quite damp and it is always possible it could get wet again.

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
No vapor barrier between concrete and rubber flooring. Rubber itself will resist mildew and mold and the floor you are considering should breathe nicely.

And yes, the stuff is straightforward to install. Pick sizes and patterns that match your situation and the look you want. Obviously the thin crappy flooring at box stores will fall apart on you so get something with thickness that fits your budget. Call customer service for one of the companies you find online with questions and for recommendations.

Lay it all out the way you would any tile floor ahead of time so you don't end up looking goofy on the last course of your flooring, etc. If using large 12x12's or something think about running the floor at an angle. The room will look bigger and if you are out of square it will not look so obvious.

As with any flooring, stabilize your material to room temperature if you can before installing.

Do be sure you buy some extra stock for repairs on down the road especially if buying colors where the dye lot might change and be noticed.

·
Doer of Many Things
1,208 Posts
I'd do a minimum of 1/4" thick for an interlocking install if you want to avoid problems. Roppe has a good quality budget product out there now called Ready Tile I believe. It's one pattern only, a mixture of different color flecs, but much cheaper than the standard stuff. There are also sealers available to top coat the tile with if you want to keep it from picking up too much dirt, though it tends to make them a little slicker.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts