DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One bedroom is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Balancing doesn't fix it.
I bought a duct fan which increases the air flow a little, but is very noisy. It has about 10' of romex on it. I would like to put a plug on the end of it, and plug into a X10 outlet; so I could turn it off from upstairs when I didn't want the noise. But I am pretty sure that would be a code violation; you can't put plugs on romex.

Are there switch like X10 that would go in a box?
Can I replace the romex with flexible cord and run that to an outlet?

Any other ideas?

I know this is electrical and this next question should be in HVAC, but I am here; are there any quiet duct fans? I got this one at a garage sale for $3, so I am happy it even runs.

·
Registered
9,036 Posts
1. Install the duct fan in the wall either at the mouth of the duct (behind the wall register) or in the middle of the duct (in-line fan). Wire it to one outlet box. Instead of a duplex receptacle, install a single male receptacle (inlet) in the box.

This section of wiring is orphaned. It is connected to power using an ordinary extension cord with a female end that fits into the male receptacle. What you do with the plug (male end) of the extension cord is up to you. This setup is primary meant for connection to an uninterruptible power supply that sits on the floor but you can plug it into a power module (which is in turn plugged into an ordinary receptacle and) activated by a wireless remote control if you prefer.

2. Get a small desktop box fan that fits on the outside of the wall over the register. Hang it there. The fan will (should) have an ordinary cord similar to a lamp cord. Plug it in however you wish, for example into a remote control power module.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts