DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've got a newly finished room in my basement with full-height cement walls on one side. Through that wall is dirt. Sitting on top of that dirt - level with the ceiling of the basement - are 2 AC units. They are each sitting on their own concrete pads which are not connected to the house.

When running - they must shake the ground, where the sound travels throught he dirt, into the concrete wall - and generally into this room. It's just a buzz - but enough to be annoying.

I want to cut down on that sound. Can I lift them up and stick rubber feet or something under them?

·
Administrator
41,830 Posts
Could be the line set that is transferring the noise.

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
Those pads absorb a lot of the vibration.

·
HVAC Supermodel
167 Posts
Don't use the cork type pads outdoors, they will disintegrate. Use the all rubber or rubber/foam combo. I'm with beenthere on the lineset thing, pads should always go under outdoor units anyway

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Years ago GE used to put them in the box with the condensing units. Hard rubber like hockey pucks.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder if those rubber interlocking kids play mats would work - we had furniture on them for a year, and the feet compressed them but not completely. Don't know what would happen though if they are exposed to weather.

I understand the acoustical properties of the first reply's solution.

Anyone know of a simpler, cheaper solution like what I suggested?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
It doesn't get any easier then sticking some rubber anti-vibration pads under the unit. Cheaper? Well I suppose you could pick up a junk tire and cut squares instead of buying the pads.

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
May cost more for the hacksaw blades to cut thru the steel belts of the tire than the pads.:yes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts