DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick Connect, Push In Connector, what ever the different brand calls them, what are you opinnions of them? The few I've been using recently seem to work good.. The only ones carried in my area are the Ideal brand ones... used them to connect my hardwired smoke detector system up made it a lot faster then twisting copper then screwing it together with a cap and they seem to hold well... not sure how you remove them if you mess up besides cutting the wire. but thankfully havent done that yet...

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
The jury is still out on those things as far as I am concerned. Although I have not had any problems with them as of yet, I believe that they are listed the same as your regular wire-nuts are.

However, I have only used them on low amperage applications, such as ballasts, and fixtures like smoke alarms, etc.

I would like to hear from anyone who has had failures with high amperage applications of these ....

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The jury is still out on those things as far as I am concerned. Although I have not had any problems with them as of yet, I believe that they are listed the same as your regular wire-nuts are.

However, I have only used them on low amperage applications, such as ballasts, and fixtures like smoke alarms, etc.

I would like to hear from anyone who has had failures with high amperage applications of these ....

I wouldn't think these would work good for high amp appliactions... just by looking at the metal plate in them they seem too flimsey for it since there is no real direct connection of the copper lines like you get with wirenuts..

·
Master Electrician
4,652 Posts
I've had good luck with them as they come with some recessed cans, haven't used them to replace wire nuts.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
Wago connectors

I love 'em when doing lighting work such as ballast replacement or when installing 400 lay in fixtures. Haven't had any problems with them...yet.

·
Master Electrician
1,165 Posts
in canada they put them on all the 347v lights now as the new code states there has to be a means of disconnect at the light and undoing a marrette just doesn't cut it apparently. So in theory you chould be able to just unplug the lights without turning off the circuit....first time i tried this the wire promptly came out of the quick connect and left me standing on a ladder with a live 347v wire in my hand. I've done some testing on them since that incident and i've found that over time with heat they can come loose as well as if the wire is twisted and pull at the same time it can just pop out. Now this is all for the type of quick connect that plugs in together not the wire nut substitute....i've had no problems with those at all but you can pull the wire out by twisting and pulling at the same time fairly easy with those as well.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
no, these are not those plugs, getting wire out of these suckers is a pain in the rump.

the disconnect you are talking about is a simple little plug and connector. It is required by code down here in a lot of applications as well.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
They're fundamentally the same thing as backstab (push in and it sticks) connections on receptacles and switches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts