DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had someone do some floor repairs and they had to temporarily pull up a section of 30 year old vinyl flooring.....when they put that section of sheet vinyl flooring back down they used double backed tape....after the vinyl was put back, a day later, I noticed a spot in the vinyl that was raised, about a 1/4" high and about 2x3" length and width.....probably some debris or something got stuck under the vinyl.....the question is, how hard is it to undue the double sided tape and level out, or fix the bump? Is two sided tape relatively easy to lift apart?

·
Naildriver
12,173 Posts
I can't imagine why anyone would use double stick tape. Using vinyl floor adhesive would make better sense.

·
DIY Veteran
627 Posts
A heat gun or hair dryer works well for your issue here. A propane torch might work also but they don't work so well upside down. :wink2:

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,660 Posts
Is it a air pocket? Or something physically under there?
A air pocket may be able to be rolled out. Have you depressed it with your finger?

Some double sided tape is so strong, like 3M VHB, it will tear apart the substrate before it will release. I would be patient with a low heat source. (no torch)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it a air pocket? Or something physically under there?
A air pocket may be able to be rolled out. Have you depressed it with your finger?

Some double sided tape is so strong, like 3M VHB, it will tear apart the substrate before it will release. I would be patient with a low heat source. (no torch)

It feels like an object...it may be debris or leveling compound....not sure what type of two sided tape......probably the cheapest kind......

·
Hammered Thumb
3,518 Posts
It sounds like a floating sheet vinyl product which REQUIRES double-sided tape. You can simply roll it up and clean off the area. It probably has the old tape bundled up in a ball, or if you are lucky someone dropped a clip of cash under it.

Just be careful rolling/unrolling, you can stretch the vinyl a bit.

Another fix is to cut a slit where the bump is, take out the offending stuff, and put a piece of tape under the slit. Use specific tape for the product, not just any double-sided.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts