DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Electrician
1,390 Posts
Use one of these the proper size and you can connect copper to aluminum.

I say go with the smaller wire, I would have installed at minimum 1-1/2" pipe for that install. For future if your pipe gets into the mid to high 30% for fill, your better off going up one pipe size to make the pulling easy.

Lots of lube and make sure the person feeding is pushing the wire into the pipe, if your pulling and there not pushing you are not going to have a good time. Pull 5' in, do a 5 count and pull 5 more feet. This will allow both of you to be in the optimal position for success.

http://ecat.burndy.com/Comergent/en...e=SingleLevelCategory&catKey=611557##false

·
Registered
193 Posts
Use one of these the proper size and you can connect copper to aluminum.

I say go with the smaller wire, I would have installed at minimum 1-1/2" pipe for that install. For future if your pipe gets into the mid to high 30% for fill, your better off going up one pipe size to make the pulling easy.

Lots of lube and make sure the person feeding is pushing the wire into the pipe, if your pulling and there not pushing you are not going to have a good time. Pull 5' in, do a 5 count and pull 5 more feet. This will allow both of you to be in the optimal position for success.

]
Or scream, FEED IT YOU SOB!:smile:

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
The person feeding the wire into the conduit only needs to guide the wires straight and aligned directly into the center of the pipe connector. He must also make sure there is no twist whatsoever.
There is no reason to push unless you find its is helpful.
Its imperative that the guy feeding does nothing to hamper the pulling end.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It was decided more in reverse. The largest conduit size I could put up with is 1-1/4, and I decided that If I have to go larger, then I'd rather decrease the wire size.

The pull boxes I use, the hole on the house and garage walls, the tunneling under the porch would have all been more difficult/uglier.

·
Master Electrician/Owner
64 Posts
I'm working on my garage rewire, and the conduit between the house and the garage is basically complete, so I'm getting ready to order the wire.

I have 1-1/4" schedule 40 PVC, and the longest run between pull points have two 90's and two 45 bends, and it's about 45 feet. I know that by NEC I'm fine pulling three #1 and one #6 aluminum wires, but my question is: how hard is it?

I want a 100 A subpanel, but I could go with #3 copper instead of the #1 aluminum. It would cost me about an extra $100, so if the pull is doable, I would defeintely go with aluminum. Those with lost of experience: how hard is it? I have a large pull box on one end and a large LB on the other. I would use plenty of lube, a helper, and maybe pulleys, if necessary.
2-2-4-6 Mobile home feeder would be perfect and easy pull for that run.

http://www.southwire.com/ProductCatalog/XTEInterfaceServlet?contentKey=prodcatsheet15

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
2-2-4-6 Mobile home feeder would be perfect and easy pull for that run.

http://www.southwire.com/ProductCatalog/XTEInterfaceServlet?contentKey=prodcatsheet15
I have multiple problems with that:

1. It's not a main feeder of the home, so it would only be good for 90 A.
2. With the #4 neutral, I would probably have to argue that unbalanced load is never more than 65 A. It is true, but I'm not sure how it would go over with the inspector.
3. Easy pull? It is probably harder than individual conductors of those sizes.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
BTW now that the thread is resurrected, here is the update on the project: I filled the trench yesterday and pulled rope through both conduits (I have a parallel 1/2" conduit for a switch loop.) I removed old wires from half of the garage and repainted the cinder block walls. Beautiful white! I ordered the subpanel: it is arriving Tuesday. I'm pretty much ready to order the wire. Unless I'll get convinced otherwise in the next 12 hours, I'll go with #3 copper with #8 EGC.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts