DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am debating between two contractors and two doors to replace a walk out basement door that leads to a storage area. Aesthetics are not an issue, we just want a solid, plain windowless door and it gets very little traffic, though we do occasionally take the bikes in and out there. This is an older 1962 house. One contractor only does Provia, and the fiberglass is above our budget, but they will do a 20 gauge steel. The other with do a ThermaTru fiberglass for about the same price. Mostly I'm debating durability/maintenance, as we tend to go a long time between paint jobs. The Provia steel comes pre-painted in the factory and seems like a quality door, but I understand that steel can eventually rust and dent. The ThermaTru fiberglass needs to be painted and, I assume, maintained more. I'm also wondering whether we could get away with a simple Home Depot door (knowing we'd need to keep it painted). The opening is nonstandard. Thanks.

·
Banned
30,023 Posts
The Provia Steel is a solidly built door.

I prefer fiberglass where I can for the rust potential elimination.

Both should be fine if installed properly and both can be ordered pre-finished.

Not sure I would trust Big Blue or Big Orange with any installation duties.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fiberglass Outperforms ALL!!

If you can get your hands on a ThermaTru fiberglass door for roughly the same price as a steel door then the choice is a no brainer. Fiberglass is low maintenance, will insulate your home better, does not dent, rust, is warm to the touch, and above all comes with their ThermaTru lifetime warranty. Hope this helps! Have fun!

·
Home Performance
1,542 Posts
Not to be argumentative, but I'd respectfully disagree. I DO prefer fiberglass for all of the reasons mentioned, however the quality of Provia (assembly, fit and finish) is much better than Thermatru in my experience. 20 gauge steel is pretty hefty, not the soda can stuff (24+ gauge) that you find at home stores... Maybe revisit the fiberglass option from Provia. I know on the back end that the price is not much more, perhaps he'll work with you.

·
85 Posts
hello saundersbarrett, you said the opening is non standard. just for that reason I wouldnt let orange do the install. would that be a custom size.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts