DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
On the Road Less Traveled
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The short of it; I need to how how to install a runoff trench next to my driveway correctly. I searched around the internet and read a lot of different ideas and opinions. This link is an example of what I need to do... a small trench back-filled with sand and stone. I have read not to use landscape fabric as in the example, but to use non-woven drain field fabric. The example states to line the sides with the fabric, but not the bottom or the top. The bottom not being lined I understand, but how do I keep dirt (silt) from running off the yard and just filling the trench?

And the why of it: I had to have 12 helical piers installed around the garage in September of 2016. There was a raised flower-bed... well there is a picture linked below of the layout, I am getting runoff from the yard, into the driveway, which then runs into the drain in front of the garage, and the mud/silt from the runoff has now clogged the drain.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

(sorry I wasn't about to post the pic in-line here, photobucket seems to be gone, so I had to use OneDrive)

Driveway layout picture.

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,788 Posts
Ayuh,.... How much elevation drop ya got from where the raised bed was at the corner of the garage/ driveway, down to the street,..??

Not the answer yer lookin' for, but with the limited pictures, what I'd do is,....

Dig a swale from the corner at the raised bed, to the street, 'n get grass growin' in it,...
A swale is a gentle slopin' trench, that's walkable, mowable, 'n possibly driveable,....

The rock filled trench yer lookin' at ain't compatible with any of the above,...

·
Usually Confused
6,677 Posts
I agree with Bondo that the solutions available to you will depend on the grade available to you. It's hard to tell but from the perspective of the photo leading off to the horizon it doesn't look like much. If the ruling grade is across the driveway (evidenced by the fact that water currently runs that way) and there isn't sufficient grade in the opposite direction to draw water away, there's not much you can do.

I like the idea of a grass swale. Even if it is just a slight grade and most of the water soaks into the soil, the same thing is accomplished.

If you can re-establish grass, etc. from last year's construction, will the silt problem not be solved?

·
On the Road Less Traveled
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you can re-establish grass, etc. from last year's construction, will the silt problem not be solved?
Good point, the grass should stop it.

The rock filled trench yer lookin' at ain't compatible with any of the above,...
Both the runoff trench and the swale will move water toward the street, why is the swale the better option?

I'll get some better pictures and elevation measurements as soon as I can. Thank you for the replies!

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,788 Posts
Both the runoff trench and the swale will move water toward the street, why is the swale the better option?
Ayuh,.... Answered that,...
A swale is a gentle slopin' trench, that's walkable, mowable, 'n possibly driveable,....

With a swale, it's usable space, with a rock filled trench,... It Ain't,....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts