DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have 6 inch round ducts. And I have sealed the seams with Mastic.

I am now starting to wrap the ducts with R 8 foil faced duct wrap.

I have used a divergence staplers to hold the wrap in place, but what type of tape do I used to properly seal the seams on the duct wrap?

Here is what I am thinking of using. Is it correct?

https://www.itape.com/-/media/files/tds/foil/foil_alf201l-ul_tds.pdf

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Tinkerman, after some research, I think I am going to use IPG FSK Jacketing Tape. It's available locally, and full bond occurs in 24 hours. Has anyone else used it?

·
Super Moderator
39,290 Posts
For HVAC, foil tape is to have a UL181 rating.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
For HVAC, foil tape is to have a UL181 rating.
I wasn't aware of that before. Well, I learned something today. Thanks!

I was curious, though, about where in particular the UL181 rated tape is required. Obviously, when taping the ductwork itself, it is. However, whether it would be required in the OP's situation (taping the insulation) is less clear from the brief reading I did. I may need to upgrade some of my work around the house, if it's required for the insulation around the ducts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Beenthere. And this is where I am confused.

I thought the tape had to have a UL 181 rating, but is that rule for sealing the duct wrap to itself? Because I also hear that I should use FSK tape to seal wrap seams.

I suppose I should go to the Town on Monday and check with the inspector to find out the local rules.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Hotrod, your question nails it on the head for me. What I read does seem less clear on the taping of the wrap to the wrap itself at the seam.

And we are up North, where the previous owner put ductwork in the unconditioned attic, so it’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter up there.

I want to wrap these correctly. I don't want those seams to fail. So I will ask the town on Monday and report back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts