DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the diychatroom and my very first post here so, Thank you!
I’m a GC who recently had a sewer line stubbed from the street into my basement I then plumbed the inside. The line was town inspected and approved however, shortly thereafter the inspector called asking about the old (concrete) septic tank. I mentioned it was not crushed due to poor accessibility in back and I planned to fill it in myself. He said, that’s fine however, he’d need to inspect it which I have no problem with. The tank was professionally pumped a few months prior to sewer tie-in. Now preparing to fill-in the septic, I encountered plenty of water which I pumped-out and into the sewer via an exterior service cap. In addition, there was a tiny amount of sludge and a fair amount of sediment on the bottom.
Thus my question(s) - My plan was/is to fill-in the tank with sand and stone. Is this agreed upon? How necessary is it to hammer drill weep holes. Is this essential and/or code? I’d hate to go in there if I don’t have to plus the surrounding area is alway dry.
I greatly appreciate your advice and any other thoughts.
Thank you kindly -

·
Registered
12,882 Posts
Ya, that inspector is the one to provide the step by step. They may want to see it before you start filling. If you don't bust it up it will fill with water over time, unknown what issues that raises if any.

Bud

·
Registered
611 Posts
As the other two guys said don't fill it until the inspector gives the ok, he may want to see it emptied first. I believe sand is the preferred material to fill them with if they need filled. I would not advise climbing into if you don't absolutely have to. If you would have to, study the safety precautions first and make sure it is completely aired out first. The gas in septic tanks can kill you quickly. The bacteria in septic tanks can kill you slowly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the words of advice and agree, it’s best to contact the inspector for advice in advance of filling it in. Oh and no way, would have I gone in the tank w/o a hazmat suit and I don’t own one - thus I wan’t planning on going in. Thank you!

·
retired framer
47,197 Posts
I appreciate the words of advice and agree, it’s best to contact the inspector for advice in advance of filling it in. Oh and no way, would have I gone in the tank w/o a hazmat suit and I don’t own one - thus I wan’t planning on going in. Thank you!
In the mean time keep it covered,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts