DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 4 way switch circuit that is giving me some problems. I have included a diagram attached. What is really weird is that the first light is not coming on at all, and the 2nd light is functioning exactly the way I would expect a 4 way switch circuir to work. Anyone have any ideas?

I thought maybe it was a bad wire in the fixture but it test OK on both a continuity test w/ my multimeter and when hardwired into the circuit by-passing all the switches. I don't see how it can be that the lower light is functioning w/out the first light working, given that the hot feed passes through the first light.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No idea... lights haven't worked right in years... i'm trying to help my in-laws figure it out.. How would you fix it?

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
TRY this:

Unscrew the bulbs in the first light .... does that make the 2nd one quit?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
the feed from the panel needs to go directly to the first 3 way switch. the black from the first light has to connect to the black from the second light or to the same wire at the second 3 way. with the wires you have now you can't do it properly. if you tie the 2 blacks together at the first light the second light will work fine. in your drawing the first light has no neutral connected to it.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Not sure if you have access, but the easiest solution would be to run a new 2 conductor cable from light to light....
This is useally a best answer to deal with multi switch/ luminaires locations.

Merci,
Marc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts