DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Beko to replace my Whirlpool that was 12 years old. The install was pretty simple. It's just a few hoses, so no big deal. The issue I'm having is about the water line.

After all was installed, I turn the water back on. I hear the water flowing out pretty loudly, it sounds like it's really rushing out. I think nothing of it. It keeps on flowing out. I don't see any leaks and no water on the floor or anything like that. The water is not stopping though. I'm figuring that there is some sort of tank or tub that is being filled up. My assumption is that at some point wherever the water is going will be filled eventually and some sort of equilibrium will occur that will stop the rushing of water. It just seems like it takes so long though. I let it run for about 5-8 minutes and it showed no signs of slowing down.

What is happening here? Is there something I didn't do properly?

Thanks

·
Naildriver
18,593 Posts
Is there water inside the dishwasher? Only two places for it to go. On your floor or inside the unit.

Reactions: SW Dweller

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there water inside the dishwasher? Only two places for it to go. On your floor or inside the unit.
If I turn the water on, wait a bit and then open the door I don't see any water, but I see some steam coming from inside the machine.

If I turn the water on and then run the dishwasher, the water comes up through the arms and hits inside the machine. It seems to drain ok too. Nothing on the floor or anything.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
From your description there seems to be two separate issues here.

The first is that even though the machine is not turned on you hear the sound of water running (at least that is my interpretation of what you’ve written). That indicates a problem with the machine. It has a valve that only opens to allow water in from the supply when the dishwasher needs water. If the machine is turned off and the water supply is turned on you should hear at most a less than one second sound as the supply line pressures up, then silence. There is no reservoir in the dishwasher that needs filling.

The second issue is where is the water going that is coming into the dishwasher? You don’t believe that it is leaking from the machine, so the only choice left is down the drain. That’s not likely, though because the connection to the house drain system is probably higher than the bottom of the door, so if you opened the door the water would flood out onto the floor. Unless….you haven’t told us how you’ve connected the drain piping from the dishwasher. It is unusual, but we’ve seen on this board dishwashers where the drain connects to a trap below the floor. If that is the setup for you then that water coming into the tub could just be flowing away without the water level rising in the unit. We don't know the model number of your Beko, but the instructions that I've been reading on the Beko USA site, which seem to be applicable to most of their units indicate that an "underfloor" connection like this would not be acceptable.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
That's weird. Can you feel a temperature difference in the drain pipe? Maybe unscrew the trap and put a bucket there. Verify that water is going down the drain. Try cutting power and see if it still pumps the water out. Did you make a "high loop" in the drain hose? Check your water meter to see how much water is actually flowing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From your description there seems to be two separate issues here.

The first is that even though the machine is not turned on you hear the sound of water running (at least that is my interpretation of what you’ve written). That indicates a problem with the machine. It has a valve that only opens to allow water in from the supply when the dishwasher needs water. If the machine is turned off and the water supply is turned on you should hear at most a less than one second sound as the supply line pressures up, then silence. There is no reservoir in the dishwasher that needs filling.

The second issue is where is the water going that is coming into the dishwasher? You don’t believe that it is leaking from the machine, so the only choice left is down the drain. That’s not likely, though because the connection to the house drain system is probably higher than the bottom of the door, so if you opened the door the water would flood out onto the floor. Unless….you haven’t told us how you’ve connected the drain piping from the dishwasher. It is unusual, but we’ve seen on this board dishwashers where the drain connects to a trap below the floor. If that is the setup for you then that water coming into the tub could just be flowing away without the water level rising in the unit. We don't know the model number of your Beko, but the instructions that I've been reading on the Beko USA site, which seem to be applicable to most of their units indicate that an "underfloor" connection like this would not be acceptable.

If the machine is turned off and the water supply is turned on you should hear at most a less than one second sound as the supply line pressures up, then silence. There is no reservoir in the dishwasher that needs filling.

-Correct. But the water keeps gushing out. I an hear it.

-The only drain is through a hose that runs from the base of the unit upwards to a hole cut out in the cabinetry that leads to the garbage disposal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So upon further inspection it appears that the water line running from underneath the sink that connects to the back of the dishwasher was tightened properly. There was some water on the back of the unit and against the back wall underneath the counter, but nothing was leaking onto the floor.

I still don't know why the water was able to be turned on for so long without something more spilling.

I will continue to work on this however.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry for dropping off, life is pretty hectic these days. Just an update. I never found out what the true cause was.

It did turn out that there was some water on the floor, so my guess is that perhaps the connection was not tight enough. Also, I didn't use any plumbers tape on the connection either. The weird thing is that there was only a little water on the floor and I would keep the valve open for a long time.

Anyway, I became too fed up dealing with this and just called an appliance installer to take care of it. $140.00 later and it's working well.

It sucks for me because I like doing these types of projects, but I'm working two jobs right now and don't have the time to mess around with this type of thing.

Thanks for everyone's help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts