DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello
new here looking to replace old furnace sunbeam with a goodman products and also adding whole house air looking for some good reports and or bad reports on the goodman line of products

all help
thank you

leiut56 :)

·
Hvac Pro
23,345 Posts
Goodman is quite good as they are 1/2 of Amana now and inherited their quality standards. Not crazy about the basic entry level quality units of them or any other brand as they can be noisy. You get what you pay for. Proper installation by an experienced long term reliable contractor is more import than getting a good deal/cheaper price.

·
Underwriter
96 Posts
Though most of you disagree, Goodman is still considered a poor man's brand. Used in most apartments and rentals due to their low price, they do not seem to last as long or work as well (probably due to bad installation).

Just for the record, most reputable installers don't use goodman as it is known as being a cheap brand and any contracter can get his hands on them.

When I was looking for installers, not one of them would sell a goodman, even the ones who would install multiple brands.

·
Hvac Pro
23,345 Posts
Don't seem to have many problems with them here. The cheapest unit the builders use here is the Keeprite/ICP. Most units work okay if installed properly. My neighbor has a 6 yr old latest generation Goodman (no problems) and I am putting a basic one in Moms house to replace the beloved old Pulse. 7 yrs ago you could not even give me one for free, but now that they are Amana they are good IMO.

·
Administrator
40,757 Posts
Though most of you disagree, Goodman is still considered a poor man's brand. Used in most apartments and rentals due to their low price, they do not seem to last as long or work as well (probably due to bad installation).

Just for the record, most reputable installers don't use goodman as it is known as being a cheap brand and any contracter can get his hands on them.

When I was looking for installers, not one of them would sell a goodman, even the ones who would install multiple brands.
Actually, Payne and Gibson have taken over the cheapest priced unit spot.

PS: Goodman has always stood behind their product when they had a problem. Unlike some of the more expensive, and falsely though of as more reliable brands.

Remember, it was the(at that time) biggest manufacturer that had to be sued because of their heat exchanger problem. They knew about it for years, but did nothing about it.

When Goodman had a problem, they stood behind it.

Another though of as reliable manufacturer, is having troubles with their new air handler. Perhaps they should have tested it more, before releasing it.

Reactions: leiut56

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just installed a Goodman 3.5 ton air handler

I just finished installing a Goodman 3.5 ton air handler in my home that replaced a 13 yr old Carrier unit. I could have gone cheaper but I liked the 10 yr limited warranty on the Goodman unit. I have had it for about a month and I like the unit... so far no regrets. It is quieter and is built as well as or better than the Carrier. It has an all aluminium evaporator coil and a three speed fan. I chose to install a TXV valve to increase the efficency slightly. They also make a model that has a variable speed fan that is even more efficient but I understand that the motor alone is about $1000 to replace. :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
40,757 Posts
Look in the phone book, or online for dealers of other brands, and call them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts