DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Hi All,

Should I prime wood with water or oil based paint primer?

Thanks in advance.

Bob
Well there are quite a few primer choices nowadays: All-purpose latex primer, acrylic exterior primer, oil-based primer, shellac primer and breathable, oil-based primer. For most exterior wood in reasonably good shape, I would pick a high-quality acrylic primer. It remains elastic and permeable so moisture can "breathe" through the paint skin. This will decrease the chance of the paint bubbling and peeling due to moisture in the walls.

·
2,392 Posts
Hey Bob, glad to hear from you again. Still at it.:thumbsup:
A lot of it is project dependent, it's what you're dealing with. As Epson said, it the wood is in good shape, a good acrylic latex works well. However, if it's outside and hot, you may want to use an oil primer with a longer dry and penetration, as some latex primers may dry so fast there isn't adequate time for penetration. On troublesome wood, weathered, or on older homes, I like to use long penetrating oil like BM Penetrating Primer. If the wood is a bleeder type, like cedar say, you want an oil primer spec'd to block tannin. I don't trust latex primers to do many specialty tricks when it comes to the problem solving aspect of primers, other than generic sealing of bare wood and bonding properties. If I have a large project, like a room full of new wood, I'll use a dedicated wood primer, rather than an all purpose primer. Also, it's nice to use a primer with good enamel holdout, an underbody, when priming finish trim wood, as it helps to enhance, or not detract from, the sheen of the final finish. Take care.
Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts