DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an apartment building where one of the units had a grease fire a few months back. It's been "thoroughly cleaned" by a professional remediation company, although there is still quite a bit of black soot "stuck" to the walls. The rep from the remediation company told me that it's perfectly acceptable, and the primer will take care of it completely. They've suggested using Kilz Original (red & white can) for priming. Now, the more I read here, I wonder if I should be using something else, like a shellac, Zinseer, etc...??? Odor is concern, as there a number of other tenants in the building, but I do have access to a large air scrubber that I can vent to the exterior, but obviously I'd rather not have the odor too offensive if possible. I do have an account at the local Sherwin-William's as well, so that's certainly an option as well. Thoughts appreciated.........

·
Rubbin walls since'79
2,518 Posts
Topic has been covered countless times and the usual answer is Pigmented Shellac- BIN.
Use the search funtion on the bar above and look for BIN- you'll find out much more.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Zinsser BIN primer.It's a shellac,alcohol base.The smell is bad but it dries fast and the odor dissipates quickly.It is the best product for sealing smoke that I know of.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.